Image size: 1600 x 1008 pixel. 396 KB
Date: Sunday, 15 October 1944
Place: Szent György tér, Budapest, Hungary
Photographer: Kriegsberichter Faupel (PK Eins.Kp. Lw.z.b.V.)
Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger II Königstiger (King Tiger) Sd.Kfz.182 Ausf.B #234 with Henschel turret of SS-Unterscharführer Herbert Stief from 2.Kompanie/schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503 occupying a street intersection in Budapest. The photo is taken from the Szent György tér (Saint George Square). This square which stretches out in front of the main entrance to the castle is overlooked by two buildings on the right-hand side: the Neo-Gothic Sándor palace and former residence of the Prime Minister and the Castle theatre (Várszínház) with a Rococo façade, which was a former convent of the Carmelite order, which was dissolved in 1782 under the orders of Joseph II and altered by Farkas Kempelen in 1787. In the center of the picture is Hungarian anti-aircraft tank 40M Nimród, while at right we can see Steyr 1500 infantry carrier car. The SS guards came from 22. SS-Freiwilligen-Kavallerie-Division Maria Theresa with their distinctive riding boots. 2.Kompanie/Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503 were the only Tiger II unit to go to Budapest, six Königstiger with turmnummer (turret number) 200, 211, 213, 231, 233, and 234.
Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-680-8282A-20A
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200115246545313&set=o.303273499761263&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf , courtesy of Alvaro Casanova Mora