Image size: 1558 x 1600 pixel. 656 KB
Date: Autumn 1941
Place: Soviet Union
Photographer: Helmut Ritgen
The close support given to the armour by the ground-attack aircraft of the Luftwaffe is symbolised by this snapshot of General der Flieger Wolfram Freiherr von Richthofen (Kommandierender General VII. Fliegerkorps), the renowned Air Corps commander of the Stuka squadrons, after he had landed his Fieseler Fi 156 Storch liaison aircraft for a front-line conference with Oberst Richard Koll (Kommandeur Panzer-Regiment 11 / 6.Panzer-Division) in autumn 1941. The fire of combat rises only 200 yards beyond! Just visible on Von Richthofen's right forearm is the rare and prized cuff-title commemorating service with the First World War fighter wing commanded by his cousin, "The Red Baron" Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen.
Helmut Ritgen photo collection
Book "The 6th Panzer Division: 1937-45" by Oberst a.D. Helmut Ritgen