Image size: 1600 x 988 pixel. 590 KB
Date: Sunday, 13 April 1941
Photographer: Dr. Feitel (PK OKW)
German tank crews in the middle of the tank PzKpfw IV Ausf. E (produced 223 tanks) during the Balkan campaign (Yugoslavia) in 1941. Armament: gun 7.5cm KwK L/24. These guns were all armed PzKpfw IV until modifications Ausf.F2, after which it was replaced by a long-barreled gun 7.5cm KwK L/43 (length of 43 calibres). The ausf E was manufactured by Krupp-Gruson from September 1940 to April 1941. The panzer is attached to the 11. Panzer-Division, XIV. Panzerkorps (commanded by General der Infanterie Gustav von Wietersheim), 1. Panzergruppe under Generaloberst (Colonel General) Ewald von Kleist. It was the first version that featured Gepack Kasten (turret-mounted storage bins), which increased the amount of gear available to the tank crew. Spare parts, food, water, blankets, bridging supplies, and more were packed into these containers for sustained combat. 11th Panzer crossed into Yugoslavia at Pirot on April 8, 1941, leading the German attack. They took Nis on April 9 and entered Belgrade on April 13, hoisting the Swastika that night. The unit emblem of the 11th Panzer was a ghost (this must not be confused with the famed Gespenster Division, which was the 7th Panzer Division), which we can clearly see in the side of the Panzer IV.